Monday, October 25, 2010

Thank You Letter from Guyana

This summer I visited St John Bosco Boys home in Guyana.
After touring the home and spending time with the home Director, I hung out for awhile with the boys. They had two board games. One was called "Fact or Crap" and it was a trivia game. I had never seen this game before and I was a little shocked at the title honestly. In my house as a child, the C-word was a bad word, and here was a group of kids playing a trivia game with that title. I was asking about the games and it became clear that the boys loved playing the games, but there were only two for a home of over 40 children.


They were so cute as they all sat around patiently waiting for their turn to participate. I sat down for awhile and talked with a boy named Gregory. Gregory was so smart and he really blew me away with his insightful questions about the United States and my job. He seemed so wise for such a young boy. As the kids played trivia in the background, he would split on a tangent and ask a question about something that didnt make sense to him. The game has a lot of idioms and references to things in America like Dunkin Donuts or famous rock stars etc.


I was really impressed by Gregory and the boys at St John Bosco's. When I returned home I went to Walmart on my lunch break and bought a variety of appropriate board games and educational materials. I bought a bunch of card games and envisioned Gregory figuring out the rules to Uno and Skip-Bo and teaching the other boys. I sent the package of things down with a co-worker who was traveling back to Guyana the following week.


Today I got this letter from Gregory.




The letter is super cute and nearly made me cry at work today. I especially love the globe with Gregory standing in South America and me, standing in North America.
This is the reason that Angels of Hope is so important. These children are such a blessing. They are so smart and full of so much potential. Just knowing that someone cares can change a child's life.










No comments: